Monday, March 1, 2010

E-Learning Task - Intrapersonal

Write a diary entry for a major character of the novel.

Dear Diary,

Last night was a really exhilarating experience. That fateful night, after suppertime, Atticus came into the living room with a long electrical extension cord with a light bulb attached at the end. He told us he would be going out for a while and left in his car, which was rather awkward as Atticus rarely takes the car out other than leaving for a business trip, and I wonder where would he go at such a late time. So Jem, Dill and I decided to go downtown. We searched Atticus’ office before moving on to ‘The Maycomb Tribune Office’. Along the way, we realized a strange thing – a solitary light burning in a distance. As we knew that the jail did not have an outside light, we went there to investigate, and saw Atticus sitting propped against the front door reading. I wanted to run to him but Jem held me back and said that we would be going home.

Just then, four dusty cars zipped by in a line and stopped in front of the jail. The three of us rushed to Tyndal’s Hardware door to get a closer look. Some men spilled out of the car in ones and twos while Atticus remained where he was. The men then talked in near whispers and I broke of Jem and began running towards Atticus. It thought he would have a fine surprise but it turned out the other way. When Jem and Dill came running towards us too, Atticus asked Jem to take Dill and I home but he refused. At about that time, I saw a Mr Cunningham and began talking about entailments and Walter, his son. Soon, I realized that the men and Atticus were looking at me with their mouths half-open. I was slowly drying as I realized what idiocy I had committed, when Mr Cunningham squatted down, took me by both shoulders and said,” I’ll tell him you said hey, little lady”. With that, he and the rest of the men got into their ramshackle cars and left.

Till now, I can’t understand why Atticus had to wait outside the jail, and why those men were there too. It was like Atticus expected them to come. Were they going to hurt him, or were they trying to hurt someone in jail and Atticus was there to protect that someone from harm? And was it my idiotic speech that eventually made the men leave? In times like this, I wish I have someone really smart, someone who could answer all my questions and clarify my doubts, no matter how bizarre they may seem.

Regards,

Jean Louise Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment